Advanced Search

Author Topic: Higurashi/Umineko/Higanbana Discussion  (Read 6575 times)

January 02, 2012, 05:19:15 AM
Read 6575 times

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 12:47:57 PM

• View Profile
Higurashi/Umineko/Higanbana Discussion
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:19:15 AM »
...and anything else 07th Expansion related!

I know what some of you are thinking. "What is this I don't even—"

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When The Cicadas Cry) is a mystery/horror doujin (indie) game/visual novel created by Ryukishi07.

The series has spawned a third-person spin-off fighting game, an anime/manga, PS2 and DS ports, doujin albums, and a sequel Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (When The Seagulls Cry)

Higurashi takes place in 1983, revolving around teenager Keiichi Maebara, who lived a peaceful life after recently moving to a small village named Hinamizawa. However, after the night of the Watanagashi Festival, he discovers that two people he met were found dead that night. He also finds out that the village was supposed to be flooded a year before, but the citizens revolted. He suspects his friends Rena Ryuguu, Mion Sonozaki, Satoko Hojo, and Rika Furude to be part of the revolt, as he discovers more about the dam, and the "Hinamizawa Syndrome" created by "Oyashiro-sama", his friends begin to plot his death blah blah shit happens. I'm not good at explaining.

Higurashi Kai is basically the sequel to Higurashi. it's composed of answer arcs, which answer questions players may have while playing Higurashi.

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni involves Battler Ushiromiya attending a family conference with his cousins, but a witch named Beatrice titled "The Golden Witch", starts a massacre and Battler must to survive, prove the murders as non-magical deaths, and solve the witches epitaph.

Umineko Chiru is the second half of Umineko, which is not composed of answer arcs like it's predecessor. It also introduced a new set of characters (and too many references to Chess).

Higanbana No Saku Yoru Ni focuses more on horror than mystery, A girl named Marie is constantly bullied by her classmates, and harassed by her homeroom teacher. However, after meeting a youkai named Higanbana, one of the schools seven mysteries, she is given a chance to become a youkai and get revenge.

The games don't give you any evidence or anything like in Phoenix Wright. The game is 100% dialogue (with the exception of minigames, and the final arcs, where the ending depends on the decisions you make).

It is completely up to the player to solve the mystery on his/her own. The game also offer TIPS which help give a better understanding of the mysteries given.

Discuss. (will post pictures eventually)

January 02, 2012, 05:54:38 AM
Reply #1

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: Higurashi/Umineko/Higanbana Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:38 AM »
I've actually heard of this, but haven't played any of the things.

January 04, 2012, 12:40:40 AM
Reply #2

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »
/belated response

The visual novels tend to be much, much longer than the anime counterpart.

I've been playing Higurashi for 4-5 hours and I haven't made it to the festival yet, and that's in the 3rd or 4th episode of the anime.

January 04, 2012, 01:05:01 AM
Reply #3

Offline Omnizoa

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 11, 2010, 10:12:14 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »
I've been playing Higurashi for 4-5 hours and I haven't made it to the festival yet, and that's in the 3rd or 4th episode of the anime.

depends on what arc were talking about.

January 04, 2012, 01:11:40 AM
Reply #4

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »
Quote from: "Omnizoa"

depends on what arc were talking about.

The first one, forgot the name

January 04, 2012, 05:06:34 PM
Reply #5

Offline Galaxy Sisbro

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 18, 2010, 05:04:22 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
Saw both animes and Umineko Chiru visual novel. What I liked most is the character development. Though I feel cheated when they never revealed the answer of Umineko.

January 04, 2012, 08:40:19 PM
Reply #6

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
I think 07th Expansion wanted us to find out the answer ourselves. Kinda like how the devs for LIMBO wanted the players to try and find out the plot.

I'm waiting for a new Higanbana chapter to come out. I want to read the visual novel, but no english patch for it yet sadly.

January 04, 2012, 09:20:29 PM
Reply #7

Offline Galaxy Sisbro

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
It's pretty difficult to find an answer with the lack of more consistent clues. I mean, there's no evidence or proof that everything is just fake or true. Just like Yasu, Shannon and kanon are the same persons, I find this thing impossible to understand. The combination of fantasy and mastery is what makes this novel interesting; Unless you tear up the fantasy element, you can't comprehend. I understood that Yasu is the real culprit in some worlds, and kyrie is in others; Eva ends up surviving in both, giving birth to Ange's tale. But I can be wrong in this. Unless Ryukishi shows up the answer without the presence of annoying witches covering the truth, this novel won't be accomplished for me.

As I said, Higanbana focuses more in the gore element. As for proof of this, the protagonist is raped right away in the first episode.

January 04, 2012, 09:42:22 PM
Reply #8

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
Higanbana definitely looks interesting, especially since a carbon-copy of Sakutaro (renamed Sakuoshin I think) is there. Makes me kinda suspicious about the connection between Umineko and Higanbana.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bern comes out of nowhere for foreshadowing purposes

January 05, 2012, 03:41:27 AM
Reply #9

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:27 AM »
Quote from: "Korby"
I've actually heard of this, but haven't played any of the things.
Well, it's a story moreso than a game.

I'm still waiting for the manga to finish for Umineko. Anime fails it and only covers half the series. Manga's not complete... but mostly is I think? From what I've read of it it's by far the most concise adaptation of the series. In fact, the really only thing it lacks it has none of the soundtrack which what the 07th expansions are remarkable for. Ryukishi refers to the VN as a "sound novel" since... well, there's a lot more focus on the soundtrack than other similar games.

There's a LOT of different adaptions / things relating to both series. The VN is a huge chunk to get into. If you just want to watch an anime or whatever (which is what I did) Higurashi's is really good. (Unfortunately, Umineko's anime... really fails to deliver after about half way through. Gee, I had the same reaction with Death Note!)

Also, short explanation of Higanbana? I've heard nothing about it. It'd be nice if I could actually go through it the way "it's intended" since it's new. No spoilers, straight up VN. (Assuming it is a VN like the other series.)

January 05, 2012, 10:55:17 PM
Reply #10

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Quote from: "Ice-IX"
Also, short explanation of Higanbana? I've heard nothing about it. It'd be nice if I could actually go through it the way "it's intended" since it's new. No spoilers, straight up VN. (Assuming it is a VN like the other series.)

it started out as a manga in 2010, but eventually it became a visual novel in 2011, there's no english patches yet.

The manga only has 3 volumes and I'm still waiting for the 10th chapter to be released. Although the VN reveals more than the manga.

January 06, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
Reply #11

Offline Galaxy Sisbro

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
I have good news. It seems that Ryukishi is actually writing "Umineko: Our confession", a text in which he will explain ALL of the actual murders tricks and possibly everything about the meta world (that I must recall is fake), the golden land and, of course, the culprit (The theory of Shkanon is probably true, though it is not confirmed yet)

I can't wait for this.

January 06, 2012, 11:17:05 PM
Reply #12

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
Few new Umineko albums were released, and that Umineko: Our Confessions seems to be already out, but untranslated.

I can't wait for that Higanbana patch to be done.

March 15, 2014, 05:50:22 PM
Reply #13

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
i hope it's ok to bump this

gee i've changed “?(´??)?”

ANYWAYS,

If anyone is interested in trying out Higanbana, there's actually a free English trial for it! It offers the first three chapters of the game, which is a couple of hours of gameplay.

Also, the translation for Second Night was also released, so if you do end up playing the trial and playing the full version, try and get it!

Just a warning though, the game is dark. It focuses more on horror than actual mystery solving unlike it's other sound novel sisters. It's not really for the faint of heart, but it also really does teach you things.