Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog topic  (Read 40301 times)

January 16, 2012, 03:41:51 AM
Read 40301 times

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
Sonic the Hedgehog topic
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:51 AM »
Hello welcome to my new and improved (maybe?) Sonic the Hedgehog topic!
So without further ado have fun here!

Also me what should they do to further improve Sonic?

January 16, 2012, 03:49:29 AM
Reply #1

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Topic Redo!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »
Get rid of half the fan base? >_> You know that half that keep saying its horrible and that all the characters are ruining the series.

Thats the biggest threat to Sonic, those fans and the nostalgia whores. Its good to be nostalgic to the classics but they had so little story and depth to them they wouldn't last now a days.

January 16, 2012, 03:49:51 AM
Reply #2

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:51 AM »
You shouldn't have done that...

Why did you make a new one? what was wrong with the other one? why couldn't you edit the other one?

January 16, 2012, 04:02:43 AM
Reply #3

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:43 AM »
Yeah, I don't think a redo was necessary.

They could stand to lose a few of the characters, but that's a secondary concern.  The primary concern is to...uh...make games that don't suck.  And they've gotten a good start with daytime Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.  With a new physics engine for Sonic 4 Episode 2, I've got hope again for the franchise!

January 16, 2012, 09:29:55 AM
Reply #4

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
Get rid of half the fan base? >_> You know that half that keep saying its horrible and that all the characters are ruining the series.

Thats the biggest threat to Sonic, those fans and the nostalgia whores. Its good to be nostalgic to the classics but they had so little story and depth to them they wouldn't last now a days.

Yepppppppppppppppppppppp. I bet.
'Cause Sonic is just fine the way it is, right?

For sonic, nostalgia means: before there were 10,000,000,000 lame ass characters that no one should give a crap about.

It means: before the storyline could have been pulled off of any Sonic fanfic website.

It means: before the voice acting made us want to vomit every time we played a game.

It means: before we had to play through horribad platforming with a glitchy camera.

The biggest threat to Sonic is the developers.
Slash and burn.
Everything after Sonic 3D blast, except maybe Shadow, should be forgotten about and never, ever referenced again.
Get some writers that aren't mentally retarded, and buy talented voice actors, in lieu of the homeless people you probably let in the studio now.

At least with Mega Man, they don't produce utter crap and call it a game.
You may have to wait a while with Capcom, but they don't churn out garbage to meet an industry quota.
It's a perfect way to ruin a series.

January 16, 2012, 03:07:45 PM
Reply #5

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
The old one was kinda burried...

January 16, 2012, 04:23:45 PM
Reply #6

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "Sean Nelson"
Everything after Sonic 3D blast, except maybe Shadow, should be forgotten about and never, ever referenced again.

I severely disagree with that.

Sonic CD: Crazy-awesome.
Sonic Adventure: Yeah, camera issues, but was still crazy-awesome.
Sonic Adventure 2: See above.
Sonic '06: ...OK, we should forget about this one.
Sonic Unleashed: Haven't actually played it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's actually kinda neat.
Sonic Colors: See above.
Sonic 4: Meh.
Sonic Generations: Crazy-awesome and without camera issues.
Sonic Advance series: Crazy-awesome.
Sonic Rush Series: Going to get to play them soon.

See, there ARE games that ARE good beyond 3D Blast. Most of them, in fact.

And, the characters aren't all crap. I personally think they're awesome (Elise excluded. Beastality is noooo good!)

But, to each their own, I guess. I just personally think that if you continually hate Sonic Team for trying to make new games, it's just kinda mean. Yes, the classic gameplay is nice, but stuff does need to be ADDED to it to prevent it from getting stale, which, trust me, it would.

January 16, 2012, 04:37:40 PM
Reply #7

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »
Sonic CD was before 3D Blast.

I liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, a lot, actually.
But they introduced concepts and elements that have decimated the series.

'06 is one of the worst games ever made by anyone.
This is as low as they could have possibly stooped.

Haven't played Unleashed either, although werewolf Sonic sounds retarded.

Colors was not good. Not terrible, but not good either.

Sonic 4 was the same.

Rush series sucks.

Advance series seems okay, I beat number 1.

You forgot Black Knight and Secret Rings, both of which look just terri-bad.

I have high hopes for Generations, but I haven't played it yet.

But that's the point.
Generations appears to be the best thing going right now, and it has deviated as far from New Sonic as possible.

January 16, 2012, 04:40:50 PM
Reply #8

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
Generations appears to be the best thing going right now, and it has deviated as far from New Sonic as possible.

Not really. The Modern Gameplay I'm pretty sure is the same as Sonic Colors, though it's the Classic gameplay that is the deviation.

All in all, I personally prefer Modern Sonic over Classic. But that's just my oppinion. If you disagree, well, that's your oppinion. Let's simply agree to disagree.

Let's just let the fans (At least, the sane ones) decide.

January 16, 2012, 04:44:13 PM
Reply #9

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"

Yepppppppppppppppppppppp. I bet.
'Cause Sonic is just fine the way it is, right?

For sonic, nostalgia means: before there were 10,000,000,000 lame ass characters that no one should give a crap about.

It means: before the storyline could have been pulled off of any Sonic fanfic website.

It means: before the voice acting made us want to vomit every time we played a game.

It means: before we had to play through horribad platforming with a glitchy camera.

The biggest threat to Sonic is the developers.
Slash and burn.
Get some writers that aren't mentally retarded, and buy talented voice actors, in lieu of the homeless people you probably let in the studio now.

At least with Mega Man, they don't produce utter crap and call it a game.
You may have to wait a while with Capcom, but they don't churn out garbage to meet an industry quota.
It's a perfect way to ruin a series.

I'm sorry you must be talking about Archie, which I don't follow or consider the same continuity as the games.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Vanilla, Eggman, Rouge, Shadow, E-Series, Big, Blaze, Silver, Espio, Vector, Charmy, Mighty, Metal Series robots, Eggman Naga, Shade (from Dark Brotherhood), Bean, Bark, Fang, Emerl.

There are all the Japanese cannon characters. Everyone else is Archie characters minus the characters who show up in X. Now tell me all those characters are ruining the series.

Also your everything after 3D Blast is crap? (Sorry but date wise CD was before Sonic 3) like FiniteZero said, were the SA games crap? Was Colors, the game said to be the best 3d sonic game since SA2, crap? Were the Rush games crap?
Hell the only sonic games I will refuse to play ever are 06, which SEGA reconed in the games own ending, Secret Rings and Dark Knight.

January 16, 2012, 04:46:51 PM
Reply #10

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
I personally think we need a few more playable characters. Mainly Tails, Knuckles, Amy (Hey, I like her playstyle!), Blaze, and Shade (C'mon, Sonic Team! Where's my Sonic Chronocles 2?!)

January 16, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
Reply #11

Offline Sora

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2011, 06:23:08 PM

• View Profile
Seriously, two games with Chao Gardens is not enough
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
Pinnacle of the entire Sonic series: Sonic Adventure Battle 2

What it needs to get back to amazing: Get Ryan Drummond back as Sonic and have a zillion more Chao Garden stuffs.

Edit: Why did I get ninja'd thrice

But they introduced concepts and elements that have decimated the series.

Explain plox

Haven't played Unleashed either, although werewolf Sonic sounds retarded.

Daytime levels = One of the best Sonic games ever
Nighttime levels = Let me please kill something

Rush series sucks.

Opinions, lalala~

You forgot Black Knight and Secret Rings, both of which look just terri-bad.

Black Knight was pretty good, so don't judge books by their cover.

January 16, 2012, 04:50:24 PM
Reply #12

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the best Sonic game because it felt great no matter what you were doing, regardless of playstyle.

I win

EDIT: God damn it Sora

January 16, 2012, 05:00:48 PM
Reply #13

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
Quote from: "FiniteZero"
I personally think we need a few more playable characters. Mainly Tails, Knuckles, Amy (Hey, I like her playstyle!), Blaze, and Shade (C'mon, Sonic Team! Where's my Sonic Chronocles 2?!)
Fun fact, Sonic Chronicles was licensed by Bioware.

Also seeing Sean's comment in the rating avatar thread I see what kind of gamer he is.
Crappy post-151 pokemon.
I think there isn't any use arguing with him. He's a nostalgia whore.

Now back on topic here, agreed Finite, more playable characters would be great, yea Unleashed and Colors, were good, but what made SA and 2 so amazing was the different characters and there different play styles. SA1 had 6 characters who all played differently and that was great. Knuckles Choatix was the same, 5 characters who all played different.  Having no one but Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles gets boring after a while, and Sonic would have never survived without adding more. And think, they have been trying to cater to the fans who want it like that again, and they gave us Unleashed, Secret Rings, Dark Knight, Sonic 4 Ep1 and Colors, and guess what, people hated them.

Sounds like what happened with FF13, people complained about FF games being too open ended and/or hard, so they made the first half of the game a was linear and all practice to get you ready for the second half that was open and harder, yet the SAME people bitched the game was too linear and easy (most of those people never got to the midgame boss so never saw the second half of the game).

January 16, 2012, 05:19:39 PM
Reply #14

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
Sonic 1/2/3/Knuckles: These games were amazing because they were challenging without being unfair, the level flow felt good, and... dammit, they're the classics. Sonic 2 and 3, especially.

Sonic CD: Haven't played it, but the time mechanic seems interesting and the levels seem really well made.

Sonic 3D Blast: Pretty good. Some of the levels could have been improved and the perspective makes it a bit tricky to know what you're supposed to do at times, but other than that I liked it.

Sonic Adventure: Pretty good. All the characters had their own unique playstyles that made the game, overall, better. My favorite one was Big the Cat because he's goofy and the fishing was actually pretty fun. Pleasedon'tshootme

Sonic Adventure 2: Awesome. Speed levels felt really good and entertaining, Search levels were confusing, but not too bad, and blowing crap up in the Mech levels was damn fun.

Sonic Heroes: I don't care what you guys say, this was a good game.

Sonic Advance 1/2/3: Haven't played 1 or 3. The concept of running boss fights was pretty awesome. We need more side-scrolling running bosses. Seriously, Mushroom Hill Zone's boss from S&K was good. The bosses from Sonic Advance 2 are pretty damn good. We need more of these.

Sonic '06: Haven't played this, and probably never will.

Sonic Rush: This game is worth a mention. Feels really good when you're playing it. I actually enjoyed it enough to try to replay every stage as Sonic without dying once.

Sonic Unleashed: The Day stages are probably some of the best levels in a 3D Sonic game ever. The Night stages were several degrees below bearable, though. (Why the hell do they feel like ice physics if you're wearing cleats?!)

...Oddly enough, I think I'm one of the few people who thinks that the Night Stages could have been worth it if they tightened the controls and made the stages more interesting.

Sonic Chronicles: Couldn't keep my attention. The game felt really slow for a Sonic game, sound effects were all bumbled up, music was good, but felt a bit strange at places. It feels like the developers took the game and threw it up against the wall once or twice at points.

Sonic Colors: Great stages, great gameplay, but the Wisp puzzles felt a bit forced and out of place in certain areas. (Worst offender is, ironically enough, CUBE!! The one that shares Sonic's color! And its puzzles are absolute SCRAP!)

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Episode 1): Not bad. A bit short, a bit easy, noticed the odd physics at a couple points, but other than that not bad.

Sonic Generations: Console version looks amazing, but I haven't played it yet. 3DS version is just plain awesome, but I do have to wonder if the level-designers can make a level that doesn't require homing-attack spam.