Advanced Search

Author Topic: Skullgirls  (Read 9369 times)

April 14, 2012, 11:13:53 PM
Read 9369 times

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

• View Profile
Skullgirls
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

Skullgirls (tropes here) is a fighting game created by fighting game enthusiast Mike "Mike Z" Zaimont, and involves various girls with supernatural powers (and a... thing) fighting to possess your average jackass wish-granter, the Skull Heart. Its fighting system is based on the Capcom games of the 1990s, with several additions added to help balance high-level play.

In other words, with Capcom refusing to greenlight any fighting games that don't have "Street Fighter" or "VS." in the name, this is the closest we're ever going to get to a Darkstalkers sequel.

If you have this game, please say so with your system and online ID for the convenience of your fellow forum-goers.

April 14, 2012, 11:15:16 PM
Reply #1

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
Re: Skullgirls
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
While I haven't played the game and probably won't because I don't care for standard fighting games, I will say the quality and smoothness of the animations in this game are incredible.

April 14, 2012, 11:16:17 PM
Reply #2

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
It apparently has Christina Vee as a voice actor and music composed by Michiru Yamane.
Neat.

I'd probably get it if I didn't suck at fighting games.

April 14, 2012, 11:23:49 PM
Reply #3

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
Quote from: "Mr. X"
While I haven't played the game and probably won't because I don't care for standard fighting games, I will say the quality and smoothness of the animations in this game are incredible.
Agreed. While the art style is somewhat lacking, the character art directions more than make up for that. I love how most of the fanservice is more or less negated by the supernatural weirdness of the setting or just plain evil. Take Valentine, for example - she's responsible for the superpowered basket-cases, Peacock and Painwheel.

Quote from: "Korby"
It apparently has Christina Vee as a voice actor and music composed by Michiru Yamane.
Neat.

I'd probably get it if I didn't suck at fighting games.

There is a pretty extensive tutorial available, and unlike some other fighting games *coughcoughSuper Turbo HD Remixcough* it actually lets you practice the techniques it teaches you in a training room.

April 15, 2012, 11:07:59 AM
Reply #4

Offline Yuri Sakazaki

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 03:17:49 AM

• View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/YuriSakazaki/
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
I plan on getting it once the inevitable PC version comes.

Also this thread lacks trailers for people who haven't seen it yet.  :ugeek:

April 15, 2012, 12:10:21 PM
Reply #5

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
I don't own a Xbox 360. Even if I did, I doubt I'd buy it, simply beacuse it has 8 characters (and 2 DLC) in a fighting game where you have to pick teams of three. I just think it has no variation and it's not fun that way.

April 15, 2012, 05:06:40 PM
Reply #6

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
You don't have to pick teams of 3.  You can pick teams of 1, 2, or 3 at any time.  You can have a team of 1 go against a team of 3.  In such a case, to keep it balanced, the 1 person is basically OP while the 3 are weaker than usual but combined equal the 1.  Also, they apparently have way more fighters planned than the 2 announced since the creator said male fighters would be coming along eventually (which kind of defeats the whole SkullGIRLS thing but whatever).

EDIT:  Also, many of the girls have their own blogs, and many of them (particularly Peacock's and Ms. Fortune's) are very clever.

http://askpeacock.tumblr.com/
http://ask-msfortune.tumblr.com/

April 22, 2012, 09:12:00 AM
Reply #7

Offline Shmeckie

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2011, 07:22:04 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cloudscratcher.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Quote from: "Manibogi"
I don't own a Xbox 360. Even if I did, I doubt I'd buy it, simply beacuse it has 8 characters (and 2 DLC) in a fighting game where you have to pick teams of three. I just think it has no variation and it's not fun that way.

Not to mention the crushing unoriginality of this thing; the main character is such a blatant ripoff of Milia Rage from Guilty Gear that it's flat-out plagiarism; the fighting engine is an exact replica of MVC2, just with wallbounce and infinite breaker added; the story mode is pretty much BlazBlue's story mode without the depth; and virtually every character borrows something from an Arc System Works character in some way, shape or form, with the exception of Peacock, who's the worst offender of them all; every attack she has is a reference to something. She's a Family Guy cutaway gag in fighting game character form. Not to mention the rampant fanservice that borders on creepy, made worse by the ugly art style featuring a cast of very anatomically wrong characters (if the thighs and bizarre shape of the hips are any indication, these women do not have actual hips; their legs connect into their crotch like a Barbie doll).

Save your money and play MVC2 instead. Same game with way more characters.

Soundtrack's cool, though. But you can just download that and not waste money on the game.

April 22, 2012, 01:21:46 PM
Reply #8

Offline Tails

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 02:26:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
From what I've seen, it's getting pretty positive reviews of like 8 out of 10 and 8.5 out of 10. A ton of characters doesn't really make a game good, if anything, it could make the game unbalance due to the tons of characters trying to get balanced.

When this comes out on PC I totally want it =w=

April 22, 2012, 03:02:50 PM
Reply #9

Offline Gawayno

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2012, 12:43:33 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
I have skullgirls at my school's game lab, I have yet to buy my own copy on PSN. I personally like the game, though arcade mode is way too hard, even on easy or sleepwalk mode.

But anyways, my PSN is Gawayno and I main Valentine.

virtually every character borrows something from an Arc System Works character in some way, shape or form, with the exception of Peacock, who's the worst offender of them all; every attack she has is a reference to something.

I first thought that game was by Arc System Works, until I found out about it was by another company.

April 28, 2012, 07:05:05 PM
Reply #10

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »
Rebuttal tiem
Quote from: "Shmeckie"
Not to mention the crushing unoriginality of this thing; the main character is such a blatant ripoff of Milia Rage from Guilty Gear that it's flat-out plagiarism; the fighting engine is an exact replica of MVC2, just with wallbounce and infinite breaker added; the story mode is pretty much BlazBlue's story mode without the depth; and virtually every character borrows something from an Arc System Works character in some way, shape or form, with the exception of Peacock, who's the worst offender of them all; every attack she has is a reference to something. She's a Family Guy cutaway gag in fighting game character form. Not to mention the rampant fanservice that borders on creepy, made worse by the ugly art style featuring a cast of very anatomically wrong characters (if the thighs and bizarre shape of the hips are any indication, these women do not have actual hips; their legs connect into their crotch like a Barbie doll).

Save your money and play MVC2 instead. Same game with way more characters.

Soundtrack's cool, though. But you can just download that and not waste money on the game.

You're missing the point. Skullgirls is not an original game. It's not supposed to be. It's like every big fighting game of the 90s (and Arc System Works' catalog, as you mentioned) melded together with high-level play in mind. "Rampant fanservice that borders on creepy?" Part of the package, though every character has something bizarre and off-putting that offsets the constant pantyshots and keeps things from becoming cloying - I wouldn't call a dismembered catgirl sexy. As for MvC2 having "way more characters," about 9 of those actually matter past the lowest levels of play; two of the Four Gods + one of the 5 or so characters with broken assists.

March 10, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
Reply #11

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Hey, this isn't dead!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep- ... ls-growing

Go get yourself a Steam key for only $30!

March 26, 2013, 03:53:29 AM
Reply #12

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »
Now it's super not dead.

http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

Some of the gameplay inspirations are great:
Omega Tom Hanks (MUGEN)
Venus Fly Trap (nature)
Kirby’s “Cook” ability (Super Smash Bros. Brawl / Kirby Super Star)

March 29, 2013, 12:08:49 AM
Reply #13

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
Quote from: "JaxOf7"
Now it's super not dead.

http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

Some of the gameplay inspirations are great:
Omega Tom Hanks (MUGEN)
Venus Fly Trap (nature)
Kirby’s “Cook” ability (Super Smash Bros. Brawl / Kirby Super Star)
Yeah, that's a joke. Looks like Aeon has just about anything time-related that the devs could come up with. I do like the idea of Victoria being the embodiment of the fighting game genre.

July 14, 2013, 07:34:52 PM
Reply #14

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Okay, so Lab Zero just tweeted that Skullgirls will hit PC on August 22, and pre-orders will be available on Steam starting August 1. It's also pre-orderable on GamersGate right now, if you're so inclined. Before you ask, you'll get a Steam key either way, as it uses Steamworks for matchmaking. (I've heard buzzing about the possibility of cross-platform play with the PS3 version a la Portal 2, but don't get your hopes up.) You'll also get a tasteful selection of promotional items for TF2.