Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ys Discussion - Post anything about Ys I-VII here!  (Read 4173 times)

September 06, 2013, 01:40:56 PM
Read 4173 times

Offline Captain Barlowe

• Warrior

• hell
  • Date Registered: December 10, 2010, 03:46:43 AM

• View Profile
    • ness
Ys Discussion - Post anything about Ys I-VII here!
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »

As the topic says, post anything about Falcom's classic Action RPG series, Ys, here!

Ys is an incredibly fun and action filled RPG series, first starting in 1987 with Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished. The game was highly ahead of its time, being a "precursor to RPGs that emphasize storytelling" along with having some phenomenal music by Yuzo Koshiro and Mieko Ishikawa. It also has a very simple and easy combat system, which is expanded in Ys II with the addition of magic and differs in most of the sequels. It's surprisingly fun for being so simple, too. There's also a majority of interesting additions by the developers, whether it be the script or some of the many secrets in the games.

Currently, Ys Chronicles+(I and II), Ys Origins, and Ys: Oath in Felghana(remake of III) exist on Steam, along with Ys Seven on PSP. So far, I've only played through the first game and I'm currently going through the second game, which is great so far. Ys also has many different ports for each of its games (except SEVEN I think, which is only on PSP) so definitely give it a try!

September 06, 2013, 03:44:20 PM
Reply #1

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
Re: Ys Discussion - Post anything about Ys I-VII here!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
I played Ys Origins and loved the hell out of the game. One of the best games I have ever played. Then I got Oath in Felghana which I often hear to be the best of the series. I was utterly confused because that game bore me to bits. Everything was so well designed and refined in Origins. Like the first big boss in Ys Origins involves hitting a body, then running up the arms to hit a core on the top of the body as many times as possible before the boss recovers. In Oath in Felghana, the first big boss was entirely jumping and spamming magic.

So yeah, I have yet to pick up Ys Chronicles+ simply because the "fan favorite" of the series turned out to be such a boring game. Then again, I did start the series with Origins.

September 06, 2013, 04:29:14 PM
Reply #2

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
I started (in 2009, I think) with Ys Book I&II on the Wii Virtual console, which is the PC-Engine/Turbografx-16 version.

I love Ys I so much. It is one of the 5 best games ever, for me (and my favorite game from the Ys series). The music is rather moody compared to almost all the soundtracks from the later games (in the original PC-88 version and the PC-Engine version, that is) and I love the dungeons and combat system (you run into enemies to damage them).
It is quite dark in general and I really like it. Not as in dark and edgy but as in dark and mysterious.
And the voice acting (in the western Turbografx-16 version). Oh my god it is incredible. Incredible beyond belief.

Ys II is not quite as good as Ys I because the tone shifts to something more ... superficial. The music - while still great - is not quite as good as in Ys I. And those dungeons are too confusing for their own good. Heck, even the 1st is already a gigantic pain. And it gets a lot worse once you get to the huge dungeon of hugeness after the lava place.

Ys Origin is amazing. There are three characters that are all fun to play, there are references to Ys I&II EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME and it has a great soundtrack (not as god as Ys I, better than Ys II). It really is a great game (Ys Book I is still better though).
Not to forget, all the bosses that aren't people are actually from Ys I. Nygtilger is one of the most fun bosses ever.

Ys Oath in Felghana also has a really great soundtrack (just as good as Origin, I'd say) and has the probably fastest pacing of any Action RPG. It is like - as some call it - Zelda with ADHD. I really like it, but less than Origin.

Ys III is strange. Unlike the rerelease (Felghana) it is basically like Castlevania II - a not quite linear platforming game with annoying stairs and annoying birds. The music is great in most versions (not the godawful SNES port, though) and the graphics aren't bad either. I played through the Genesis version with savestates and it was kind of a nice experience but not really up to par with the other main-series Ys games. The hit detection is also kind of unfair.

I probably won't get the newer remakes of I&II because for me Ys Book I is perfect as-is (and I still find the newer soundtracks inferior (Legacy/Eternal/Complete and Chronicles)). And Ys II's dungeons didn't get any less confusing in the newer remakes from what I've heard.

I still want Ys VI on the PS2 but that game is a pain to find, and I can't play the PSP version because I don't have a PSP.
And I would of course get Ys VII, too, if I had a PSP.

Also, do not get Ys Strategy on the DS. I have that game and it is really kind of really bad.

And do yourself a favor and listen to those soundtracks. Especially the PC-Engine versions of Ys I-IV.

EDIT: About Ys I vs Ys II:
Ys I has more implications of bad things and an overall threatening background. Some of the music sounding rather pessimistic/melancholic (PC-88 and PC-Engine, at least) doesn't help either. Tears of Sylph and Palace of Destruction are the prime examples for that. It is just so unique, because it invokes a feeling of impending doom for the place you are at without really outright showing anything.
Ys II has a lot more bad things happen on-screen ... but it feels just more like your generic RPG in terms of story and atmosphere. I find it strange that Ys II is often even seen as superior to Ys I.
Not to forget, Ys I has a very unusual structure. The majority of the game takes place in a single dungeon and the previous smaller dungeons all have an overworld connecting them. Ys II otoh is basically a chain of dungeons with almost no overworld areas at all, somewhat like Ys III/Felghana.
Oh and about Oath in Felghana being the best game: Most people first heard of Ys because of Ys III in the west. And OiF being a vastly superior remake of a game from their childhood is probably a big factor in its popularity. I however never had a console before 2006 so there is no such thing as Ys III nostalgia for me.

Also, Ys Book I&II is just 800 Wii Point things. I highly recommend it.

And I still have to say that Ys Book I is the best game that you can play comfortably with just your left hand (you only need to use items very very rarely). In Ys Book II you need your right hand to use magic, which is a rather important thing you will need to do most of the time. And the 3d games ... well they are 3d, of course you need two hands for those.

September 07, 2013, 05:11:12 AM
Reply #3

Offline WheelieCarbonate

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 04, 2011, 07:51:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:11:12 AM »
ys origin is a great game that some really cool dude bought for me and i love it, but im stuck in it and i uninstalled steam until i get a new computer
so yeah they're great

September 07, 2013, 08:01:59 AM
Reply #4

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
I forgot another thing!
In the Ys series levelling up has a really cool but strange rule behind it:
The amount of EXP enemies give you always halves itself after you level up, until they only give you 1 EXP.
This basically gives the games a very strict lower boundary of difficulty unlike other RPGs where you can just level up as much as you want.

Also, EVERY POINT IN YOUR STATS COUNTS. If you are just lacking a single point of STR or DEF it can/will make you die horribly against a boss. Every single point in your stats is important, no matter which game. It is a really important thing to keep in mind.

Small note:
It is pronounced EES, not whys.

September 21, 2013, 06:47:09 AM
Reply #5

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:47:09 AM »
I actually have been playing Ys I & II on the virtual console. The final boss of II is proving to be a real pain to beat. I'm at level 61 (62 being the max), and I get the boss to around 1/3 of its health before I die. The final boss of I, on the other hand, was disappointingly easy for me. I did hear that I's final boss is MUCH harder to beat on the Master System version of the game.

Perhaps I'll try the battle again later on the Slow speed of the game; I have been using Fast all of this time, and even with the ring given at the end of the game, those projectiles are still fast and get lots of hits on you.

EDIT: The first Ys game I have played and beat is III for the SNES. I still consider that one probably my favorite of the series, though I's music is still stuck in my head (namely, The Tower of the Shadow of Death).

November 09, 2013, 02:48:19 PM
Reply #6

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
http://www.ign.com/games/ys-celceta-sea ... ita-103951

Just thought I'd share this with my fellow Ys fans. I finally bought Origins after all that time and I loved it. If I had a Vita I would get this but I don't.

November 10, 2013, 02:34:24 AM
Reply #7

Offline Captain Barlowe

• Warrior

• hell
  • Date Registered: December 10, 2010, 03:46:43 AM

• View Profile
    • ness
Dogi is also a pimp
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:34:24 AM »
I finally finished Ys II today, which I can honestly say that it was a blast to play through until around the endgame. My thoughts on each game:

The first game felt short but had an amazing level of depth in terms of characters and story. The best word to describe the entire game is "simple"; the combat system is very easy to understand once you get the right equipment (make sure you get a sword before you fight the monsters!) and it's hilariously fun to run into monsters and watch their life drain like a rock. The bosses? They're annoying as hell. Most of them fit one of three categories:
1. TOUCH THIS BOSS A LOT BUT THEY ONLY APPEAR ONCE IN A WHILE ALSO THEY SPAM LOTS OF PROJECTILES THAT DRAIN YOUR HEALTH KAY THANKS
2. TANK ME OR DIE (about when you're in the tower)
3. Dark. Fucking. Fact.

Let's say I'm not looking forward to playing through either the time attack mode or the nightmare difficulty.
Music is great as always, featuring really awesome remixes of Koshiro's compositions by the jk band. The level system is also pretty alright, capping at ten but you'll definitely get there before late game (since it's a requirement for a certain vampire boss that fits the first category). Characters are pretty memorable two and it nicely leads to the next game in the series.

Ys II is just plain fun. Early game it suffers the same sort of quadratic curve that Ys I suffers from, and the magic system isn't that great until about mid game. But unlike the first game, mid game becomes bearable, and there really isn't anything that is bullshit tier like some parts of the first game. However, there is a lot of fun to be had by the interactions between Adol and other characters, from leveling up the useless Tarf and watching him kill enemies with rocks, doing some of the odd and funny sidequests for achievements, and the dialogue between the NPCs and the enemies, when you obtain the ability to turn into a Roo, which makes each forgettable enemy you dash through have character. I have about 53 screenshots of some of the hilarious moments in the game, and I'm very surprised in the quality of the localization, especially the amount of wooleyism present in the translation.

Gameplay is sort of boring/hard early game but picks up very well late-game. The magic system adds more then just "run into enemies = win": you can shoot them from a distance and eventually gain homing fireballs with a massive splash radius. Bosses aren't as annoyingly difficult as they were in Ys I. Most are actually manageable when underleveled, due the increase in the level cap to about 62, and the time attack is no longer a luck based mission.

The dungeons are hit or miss. I appreciated every one except the Solomon Shrine, because it was confusing as hell to navigate through. Then again, it is a final dungeon, but the amount of empty rooms seemed pointless and made navigation confusing. Although few felt empty in a sorts, using the Roo spell on the enemies mitigated this, as almost every enemy had something interesting or funny to say. That probably prolonged my sanity through Solomon's Shrine, going everywhere in the map to listen to what each enemy said in reaction to Adol the Badass Roo storming the Shrine.

I enjoyed playing through both games and I'm looking forward to playing through the third game in the series, Oath in Felghana. I've heard mixed reactions to this one, but it's something I need to see for myself. I enjoyed the taste of the Ys series so far, so I'm probably gonna love this one anyway.