Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Official Unholy Bosses Thread  (Read 41908 times)

April 24, 2014, 03:55:51 AM
Read 41908 times

Offline Zomo.exe

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 02, 2013, 09:57:52 PM

• View Profile
The Official Unholy Bosses Thread
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
On behalf of Dakutatoru/Pikman555555555 (all those 5's are joke, Pikman555 would do just as well), I am putting this up so that everyone is aware of a somewhat old project being combined with that oh-so-lovable Saxton Hale stuff. You're probably wondering, "Oh great, not ANOTHER waste of talent on a tired-out form of gameplay, haven't we seen this like 852576871 times?" You're right; but I'm also sure that you're tired of the same simplicity, the same boring bosses/classes and the same people who take advantage of the fact that some classes or weapons can just troll like no tomorrow, and no one likes 10+ minute matches just because of one person who decides to stall as long as possible, when by the time the next round starts, anyone can die a couple minutes later. The goal of this mod is to not only solve the problems that basically every other SH mod has as well as keep things interesting, yet also 1-up those same mods in terms of complexity and strategy.

With that being said, one might wonder why TK'ing is allowed in this mod... First off, it keeps the time spent waiting to a minimum in most cases so more gameplay can occur, but teammate killing can only be done through select items. This is so that while the concept itself is not a major turndown, but it keeps control of people that want to do nothing more than prolong a match longer than intended (bosses were also designed to be able to deal with stallers as well to further this). Secondly, having the power to decide the fate of anyone you wish is appealing, is it not?

Now the mod (or story itself):

(click to show/hide)

It is clear that this is not just another typical SH mod; there is actual backstory and motives behind every class and boss. While some may not be willing to share it, their main motives are clear enough; they will take down anyone in their way to seek the power of the embodiments of sin itself. You, the player, must work together with your allies and attempt to confront these mysterious entities, knowing full-well they could easily wipe you out if they have the determination and want to. Should you, however, have more will and determination than them, maybe you will be able to send them back to where they came from and hope they never return...

While this mod is considered public and released, work should also never be considered complete; there is always room for new potential events, bosses and of course, classes and items. The problem is that not everyone has the understanding of Decorate, yet alone ACS, and those that do most likely want nothing to do with the Saxton Hale scene. This is understandable, but for something to become great and known, then someone has to provide the coding and resources necessary to get it to that level. Also, it is understandable if the complexity of this mod and the limited TK'ing through items is a turndown to players; once suggestions and ideas are given to us, then the overall gameplay can be improved and made more enjoyable to those who want more of a challenge in fighting a boss and having a couple of laughs along the way. Keep in mind that while this was intended at one point to poke fun at SH in general and act like a joke mod, it is still a serious enough project that can easily be considered underrated. Ending that note, this mod still needs work but not many people on the team currently can code; it is lacking currently in the following:

UPDATE: We DESPERATELY need a dedicated spriter, especially for HUDs. Look on page 3 if you would like to help!

-Proper Spriter(s); Custom skins/projectile sprites are a MUST to make a project stand out over others, as well as HUDs
-ACS; The fact is that while we're back to normal for now, at least most ACS already done has been tested and determined to work as intended, considering it is based off of older SH coding. That doesn't mean we don't need more people with ACS knowledge!
-Decorate; While Pik has done virtually most of the bosses and classes on his own, such a burden should not be put on him alone; more people with knowledge of decorate means faster release times and testing/more productivity.
-Mappers (OPTIONAL); Be willing and able to possibly build custom maps relating to this mod to once again improve the general experience of it.

Should you happen to be interested in helping and can fill one of these roles, take a look at the following application and copy/paste it, along with relevant information and answers as a reply:

UNHOLY BOSSES POSITION APPLICATION

-Desired position:
-Examples of work:
-Any major projects you did yourself or at least contributed to (will not necessarily result in a turndown):
-How active are you, and how often you are online or at least in-game (provide a timezone if possible to give us a better idea of when you are online):
-Are you familiar with how Unholy works to a good degree, or at least willing to learn:
-Are you willing to use Skype to join a chat, or possibly even be included in calls to discuss work and potential ideas:
-What else makes you think we should let you join the Development Team:

Also, suggestions, feedback and whatnot are also welcome. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IT IS REASONABLE OR IT WILL BE REJECTED, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! If something keeps coming up, keep in mind that it might be polled as well as other suggestions in the future:

Once again, feedback is definitely needed and appreciated for anything, but most importantly, classes. A revamp is being considered in general but to do that we need to know who is in need of a revamp. Try to note any issues that might turn off someone from playing a class if possible. If you would rather provide feedback in the form of giving us potential resources to use (i.e. music, sounds, sprites, etc.), then get in contact with me or Pik so that we can figure out how to take care of turning them over. Don't worry, you will be credited as well as the original creators of whoever made them!

Finally, if for some reason you just cannot get ahold of the files needed, then links are provided below to a download site for each required file. The current versions are as follows and are required to join a server, and to successfully run them they should be in the order suggested below.

(click to show/hide)

Make sure they are saved properly in a place where your online browser can detect them, but if you're using DoomSeeker (which most people are and if it's configured properly), the browser should be able to download these correctly. If hosting, always put the classes, bosses, then music file in that order. This IS a must.

Other than that, tell us how we're doing, and happy sinning!

UPDATE: We now have a changelog for those who somehow care! This will be kept as of the v4a compat release:

(click to show/hide)

April 24, 2014, 12:32:52 PM
Reply #1

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
Re: The Official Unholy Bosses Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Oh, my.
So...
Well, I'm not sure what to think anymore.
So in a nutshell it's sub-division of Unholy?
Also if you want my opinion, Saxton Hale is rather about gameplay than story, but maybe that's just me.

April 24, 2014, 12:38:20 PM
Reply #2

Offline ScrapHeap

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 25, 2013, 12:18:01 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
I would love to see the backstory elements, since I'm a big lore guy.
Any way I could sees?

April 24, 2014, 12:47:21 PM
Reply #3

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
Help I can't read this post

Needs more bolding, ______, occasional size increases,
(click to show/hide)

May 04, 2014, 07:00:03 PM
Reply #4

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
Everyone, please give us full reasons on why you dislike Unholy bosses and how we can improve it to cater to your demands.

To dull? Too complex? Tell us what can be done and we'll have everything all good.
We want everyone to have a good time in Unholy Bosses.

May 05, 2014, 01:04:34 AM
Reply #5

Offline Zomo.exe

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 02, 2013, 09:57:52 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »
Umm, not sure if anyone actually skims by here but can get this get moved to the WIP section of the projects forum please? I couldn't really decide where to put it at the time to be honest, so uhh... yeah.

May 05, 2014, 04:13:25 AM
Reply #6

Offline Dr. Crasger

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:25 AM »
Well it's been a while since I checked this mod out.

I think I'm gonna download it later.
I see there's been a lot of changes.

May 08, 2014, 07:33:26 PM
Reply #7

Offline Lord_DeGroot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 08, 2014, 06:58:27 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
-Name of Suggestion/Idea (Can be for a Class, Boss, Event or Item): Edge(Boss)
-How it Works (Be as detailed as possible):
Health: 1000 per player
Skin: Gray Swordman
Primary Fire: If it's ranged mode; Sword Bolts - Edge swings his sword, firing out three bolts of energy that move in zig-zag patterns forward at high speed. They appear instantly, but have a slight delay before actually moving. The bolts do 100 damage. Cooldown of 2 seconds before he can attack again.
If it's melee mode; Sword Swing - Edge swings his sword, dealing 500 damage at point-blank range. Cooldown of 2 seconds before he can swing it again.
Secondary Fire: Change Mode - Edge switches to melee mode or ranged mode. If either attack is cooling down, he can't switch modes.
Item: None
Rage: If it's ranged mode; Hyperbolts - Edge swings his sword, firing out nonstop bolts of energy that move in zig-zag patterns in random directions at high speed. They appear instantly, but have a slight delay before actually moving. The rage stops after 8 seconds. The bolts do 100 damage.
If it's melee mode; Edge Bash - Edge charges forward for 5 seconds or until he hits a wall, instantly killing the players he hits. Movement is locked during the charge, so hitting forward will not speed it up, and it cannot change direction.
Obituaries:
Player bolted in fear of Edge(Player)'s Sword Bolts.
Player flew into pieces thanks to Edge(Player)'s Sword Swing.
Player was bashed out of existence by Edge(Player)'s Edge Bash.
Music: We Are Finally Cowboys - No More Heroes
-What can you provide us (The more you can provide in terms of coding/sprites/resources, the better chance of it being polled or accepted):
I can provide the music, and a recolored sprite if needed.

May 08, 2014, 07:57:06 PM
Reply #8

Offline ScrapHeap

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 25, 2013, 12:18:01 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Ok, so class idea

KnightMare
Skin : Knightman
Weapons;
Primary: Dread Mace, acting much like the soul-cutter from the CSCC class, cutmanmike
Alt-Fire raises his knightly shield, increasing it's size a bit
Swapping weapons changes it to a melee, which is weak but fires fast. Alt-Fire remains the same.
Hitting enemies regains some health, but at the cost of his starting hp being less than normal. He can move a bit faster than most, and jumps higher too.
Colors are dark gray and black. I have a recolor changing his mace if you need it.

May 08, 2014, 08:29:37 PM
Reply #9

Offline Lord_DeGroot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 08, 2014, 06:58:27 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
EDIT: Ignore this; I changed my mind. (I would delete the post, but I couldn't find a delete button.)

May 08, 2014, 11:44:42 PM
Reply #10

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »
If you want to loan us any graphics for a skin or whatnot, feel free to do it. It would help give Unholy a bit more flavor.

May 11, 2014, 07:41:22 PM
Reply #11

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
To give you fellas a bit of a taste for what's to come, here's the new features planned for the next release:
(click to show/hide)

We still need a bit of help to get things going, though.

May 25, 2014, 01:58:12 AM
Reply #12

Offline Tfp BreakDown

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 13, 2012, 10:48:09 PM

• View Profile
    • http://askmagnetman.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 01:58:12 AM »
Bump for v4 release. Check Main post for the links (2nd spoiler)

Edit: Due to one of the new classes breaking a bit hotfixes have been made. Get Em While Their Hot!

https://www.mediafire.com/?802dgg9v3ht0a71 <--Boss file

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2k97 ... ssesV4.pk3 <-- Classes

May 25, 2014, 06:29:59 PM
Reply #13

Offline Legtendga

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 21, 2010, 09:47:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
Hey, UnHoly is here in Projects now. Feedback is wanted. Give it here, pls.

May 25, 2014, 09:42:58 PM
Reply #14

Offline Badz

• DOS Enthusiest
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2013, 08:30:32 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
There's been focus on improving the older content lately, so I might as well ask:
What classes and bosses do you consider as bad?
Suggestions on how to help improve things are welcome too, of course.