Advanced Search

Author Topic: General Offtopic Discussion  (Read 3121231 times)

May 20, 2014, 03:46:02 PM
Reply #17430

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
Re: General Offtopic Discussion V.28
« Reply #17430 on: May 20, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
Twitch Plays Pokémon has just beaten Cynthia, who is stated to be the hardest Champion in the entire series. That's Pokémon Platinum completed!

The best part? The entire run didn't use Democracy mode even once.

May 20, 2014, 03:57:00 PM
Reply #17431

Offline Awbawlisk

• Warrior

• I can now see the rest of my medals again.
  • Date Registered: January 04, 2011, 02:18:59 AM

• View Profile
But I'm sure most people won't care anyhow
« Reply #17431 on: May 20, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Well one thing for sure, I am certainly less of an internet idiot as I was back then, even though I'm kinda still one today. I can at least write proper forum posts... Thanks to Myroc!

EDIT: Now that I have time to FINISH this post. I would like to say that I was able to gain something that I was really never able to IRL, over the years, and that would be "love and friendship". Something I am constantly in huge fear of losing here. This here, plays a part in why I'm usually "gloomy" and not too jolly...

Overall, I did change quite a bit yes (I'm still getting used to it!) Just not by a lot..

This post probably best belongs in the Social Jus- I mean, Sanctuary Thread

May 20, 2014, 04:17:31 PM
Reply #17432

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: General Offtopic Discussion
« Reply #17432 on: May 20, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
I think I've stumbled upon a half-here/half-there situation with this post. Some of it belongs to that topic, and some seem to belong here.
Musashi's post has inspired me greatly

I'm going to do something with all my characters too... eventually :ugeek:

May 20, 2014, 05:15:05 PM
Reply #17433

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #17433 on: May 20, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
I think I've stumbled upon a half-here/half-there situation with this post. Some of it belongs to that topic, and some seem to belong here.
Musashi's post has inspired me greatly

....you're welcome, I guess. I wasn't really going to mention anything, but words just came out of my fingertips. I had to say something about it. It was a huge part of my life, and I couldn't just let hundreds of nights and days just to be forgotten and unacknowledged.

Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
I'm going to do something with all my characters too... eventually :ugeek:

It's what I always said to myself about my characters. YD told me that Mush was a one-dimensional character, and in a sense she's right...but there's so much that I came up with that only I know of...it's just that I never told anyone about it, or never came up with a way to let other people know about it. CF's character AMA was rather ingenious in doing just that.

May 20, 2014, 05:17:29 PM
Reply #17434

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17434 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
Quote from: "Accel"
Since joining this forum, how do you think you've changed? Not necessarily as an effect of this forum, but in general since you joined.
I am tempted to simply show a screenshot of my first map and compare it to a screenshot of one of my latest maps. But that's a terribly shallow response.

I joined Cutstuff 3 years ago, having just abandoned sprite comics. I originally did this with the intention of moving on to some other medium (writing or original art), but inevitably fell short due to lack of skill, time and motivation. Over the years my creative ideas have developed immensely, emerging in notebooks, sketchbooks and audio recordings (I'm interested in music composition now, too), but I still have hardly anything concrete. I'd like to think I'm closer to doing something worthwhile (read: profitable) with my creative ideas than I was 3 years ago, but I'm not there just yet.
In these 3 years on Cutstuff I have met dozens of people, most of which I communicate with on a near-daily basis, and I'd like to think I've befriended a few, too. And yet I hardly know anything about anyone here unrelated to MM8BDM. Perhaps I should rectify this, but at the same time I have little time for it currently.
Outside of Cutstuff, I have started to enjoy personal reflection (as evident in this post), but I doubt I can come up with any conclusive ideas about myself yet. I at least believe my sociability has increased significantly (particularly in this last year), but at the same time I have become more isolated in my home. I wonder if this has reflected on how I present myself here.
My skills of critical evaluation (being able to articulate my criticisms in particular) have definitely increased through being involved with several facets of content creation for MM8BDM. I suppose these skills develop regardless through regular education, but I'd like to think it helped.

May 20, 2014, 05:56:52 PM
Reply #17435

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17435 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »
Oh yes I would also like to point out that I also met two of my best friends via Cutstuff.

Yes I am talking to you, Venus and Watzup oh yes

May 20, 2014, 06:06:09 PM
Reply #17436

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #17436 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
I learned what love and friendship are.
And had the best times of my life with someone from this community who isn't here anymore.
And I had a depression and some of the worst times of my life, too.
And I have friends now. I never had any before last year.

... And I became a better person. But ... I have become sort of disconnected from myself and a lot less happy than before I first played the game.

May 20, 2014, 06:57:07 PM
Reply #17437

Offline Captain Barlowe

• Warrior

• hell
  • Date Registered: December 10, 2010, 03:46:43 AM

• View Profile
    • ness
« Reply #17437 on: May 20, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I've learned a lot about myself through the past four years that I've been on Cutstuff.
I'd like to consider 2010 and 2011 my awkward years with this community, and although I had a lot of fun, they were also years of personal ambition and social awkwardness, and I don't like to talk or think much about those times.
2012 is probably the year that I'd like to say I improved, yet it's also another year I'd like to forget about. I recall my ego being somewhat developed, yet very distant and cold towards others who I usually don't talk to and rather not accepting towards certain people or opinions. I also remember being stupid paranoid about people and the relationships I was in at the time which wasn't fun for either party involved.
2013 I feel would fit better as a year of improvement. I engaged myself more in things I thought awkward and tried a little harder to empathize with people in the community, gaining more respect towards either people or material my brain wouldn't bother to accept in the past. Part of it was graduating and maturing into an adult, due to it being my senior year (and later my first year into college).

As of now I'd like to say I'm on good terms with a lot of people, making a lot of friends throughout the time I've been here, and having a better understanding of where my weaknesses lie along with a better handling of some of my idiosyncrasies, in general. I'm still regretful for some of my actions in the past, and I'm trying hard not to make the same mistakes again. I'd like to say I've developed into a more controlled person emotionally and mentally, trying to look at situations more from both sides for a better understanding. I still overthink and over-commit to things a little too much, and my sense of self-deprecation clings onto me like a brick at times, but those are problems that I acknowledge and hope to fix later on in my life.

Oh, and I found a plethora of music that I listen to on a daily basis, my TF2 skills increased to above average level, and I'm enjoying fighting games a lot.

May 20, 2014, 07:09:38 PM
Reply #17438

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17438 on: May 20, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
Obviously I got off to a rocky start back in 2011 and early parts of 2012. I was a whiny sack back then, and I really didn't put much thought or effort into my ideas and posts. I'm certainly not proud of it. I suppose now I can say, thanks to my three years on the board, I've dealt with a lot of the sensitivity issues I bore upon joining, as well as become noticeably more articulate. My spriting capacity is also largely better than what it was when I joined, and I'm rather proud of the few things I've put out. Needless to say, Cutstuff has been instrumental in shaping the person I'm becoming.

In fact, some of my best friends are on the board, and I'm proud to associate with them. These past three years have been some of the most stressful years of my life, but also the most fun.

May 20, 2014, 08:33:33 PM
Reply #17439

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17439 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
OK, Now I laugh less when I frag someone.
I think that's it.

Crap.

May 20, 2014, 08:50:34 PM
Reply #17440

Offline Accel

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 23, 2010, 02:13:20 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17440 on: May 20, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »
I'm so glad to hear so many of you are doing so well!

Alright, so I guess I'm going to get down to the nitty-gritty of my own tale now. Mind you, I can be a bit... wordy, so I might wall of text you guys here. Well, it'll probably only be a paragraph or so, honestly.

So, I first joined in... October 2010, it appears. Around that time, the game had just come out. A group of really good friends invited me to playing the Demo with them a few months prior. Being a massive Megaman fan, and the fact that I've completed Doom several times... well, to be brief, I was obsessed. I checked the Cutstuff blog every couple days to see when the game would come out. When it finally did, I hopped onto the servers, and started to play. I remember, I was on Toadman's stage for the first time, when a player was talking about these cool new custom skins. I asked them what they were talking about, and they directed me here.

Around this time, I was starting out as a Junior in High School. I had grown very distant from many of my friends, both online and off, and I became very reclusive. I was constantly worried about the future, quite a pessimist, extremely naive, and quite gullible- that's without even mentioning my anger issues. I ended up meeting friends that I still have that year however, but I still remained a quiet and closed off individual. I didn't really change much until senior year. During Senior year, I joined the drama club, as well as the journalism team. Basically, Senior year was looking incredibly promising. By now, I've started to come out of my shell a little, and I actually began to smile, however I still kept much of myself away from others. Around the middle of the year, I ended up getting myself into a really bad situation both in and out of school- stuff that I much rather not elaborate on. I had to work my excuse my language ass off to graduate due to the circumstances, but after everything was said and done, I was truly a different person. That said, I still had one last hurdle before I was allowed to grow up.

After graduating, I began my search for a job. After nearly a year of getting no more than one interview that never went anyway, I considered leaving home to find a job elsewhere. This caused a lot of stuff at home, and became a several month long ordeal. I think this was around the time I left the forum last. After some stuff happened, things calmed down, and I hit a deep depression for a while. In October of 2013 however, I found a job.

I think now's a good time to say what I've become. Since I first joined, I've become much more bold, outgoing, optimistic, driven, and all around... well, grown. I wouldn't call myself mature. I don't think anybodies ever truly mature. Maturity implies you're done growing, but we never really are. Since I joined, I've lost most of my friends, but in their place, I've gained a few irreplaceable people who earned a place in my heart.

Now then, why am I telling you guys all this? Well... I've been a member since the very first iteration of this game, and I have some really good memories of you guys. One in specific is my match with Shadeguy back in the tournament last year. I remember that being incredibly close, and really really fun. I also remember running around in Knux's stages as he was planning out new additions. I have memories of just about everyone here actually, and I'm actually very fond of them.

That being said... I don't know any of you, and none of you know me. I know some of you attempted to get to know me on Skype, but I never really opened up... and well, I don't know. Recently I've felt like opening up a lot more, and I want to give you guys a chance. I want to get to know everyone! So that's why I've returned, and that's why I'm spillin' my guts here. I figure it'd be a good start, non?

EDIT: Good god, this post is horribly formatted... and here I wanted to be a writer? Haha, I've gotta step my game up!

May 20, 2014, 08:55:42 PM
Reply #17441

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #17441 on: May 20, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
Since joining this forum, how do you think you've changed?
Whoops, I completely misread this message. I thought you were asking how you had changed, not me. That makes quite a difference!

This might be a stupidly long post because I am always in deep introspection.

When I had first joined, I lacked quite a bit of self awareness. While this didn't create that much trouble back then, I did have people eventually call me out for my stupid actions (the now departed Roc's Creation being the most often to do so). However, I cared a LOT about my image back then and was very paranoid about what people may think of me. For that reason, I would instead try to come up with excuses for my blunders and try to sugarcoat them in any other way possible. I can only imagine how much this annoyed people back then.

Eventually I had someone much closer to me sort of call me out for my actions, and that's pretty much what helped change me. I was able to realize how immature I was acting and thus made an effort to change. However, my self esteem dropped a ton after that and I became rather depressed. I started posting a lot less and generally became a much more quiet and reserved person (which mostly holds true today). I rarely participated in community discussions unless I was sure I had something to say, because I was afraid of speaking without thinking and saying something dumb. In addition to becoming much more self aware and careful with myself, I also became more compassionate and open minded. I started looking at things through other people's perspectives much more often and made a much greater effort to be gentle and accepting towards other people. Notably, I realized I was a faulty person and thus had no place to point out the faults of others.

All of that aside, I was also able to get a hold of my gender identity issues and figure things out. I always felt that I wanted to be female rather than male, but I didn't know much about gender identity or whether or not that was an abnormal thing of me. Both people on the forums and the MM8BDM game would occasionally mistake me for a girl and refer to me as such, and honestly that made me smile back then. However, people who knew me more (most often my brothers) would go and correct whoever was mistaken, which would make me sad. It was still something I was very confused about, so I didn't speak up about it. When people would ask me for my gender specifically, I would freeze, not knowing what to say. Eventually I started responding with "I'm an it", playing off the issue as a joke without really revealing anything. It's become sort of a running gag on Cutstuff at this point, but it really did originate from my gender insecurity. Eventually I found like-minded people who understood how I felt, and they helped me overcome those issues and accept myself for who I was.

Other stuff:
    I made a ton of close friends that I stick with today. I had some friends before joining this community, but not nearly as many nor nearly as close. They contributed a lot to my growth and I love them. Very. Much.
     I found out what I want to do in life and how I may get there.
     I picked up art and spriting thanks to Brotoad, and now I'm drawing all the time.
     I was introduced to Touhou and realized how awesome the music from that series is. (this is important)
     Stated before but I'm a ton more open minded, tolerant and accepting now. I'm quite a lot friendlier and will become friends with pretty much anyone if they so please.
     I became much more humble and self critical.
     Despite what is written directly above, I am much happier as a person.
That's all I can think of at the moment. There probably is other stuff worth mentioning that I simply can't recall at the moment because I'm a forgetful person.

I want to especially thank Ivory, Brotoad, Sicksadworld, Mr. X, Roc's Creation and Korby (I wouldn't have met the previous people had it not been for him) for helping me grow, and tolerating me throughout the years.

also this didn't end up being stupidly long, hooray

EDIT:
That being said... I don't know any of you, and none of you know me. I know some of you attempted to get to know me on Skype, but I never really opened up... and well, I don't know. Recently I've felt like opening up a lot more, and I want to give you guys a chance. I want to get to know everyone! So that's why I've returned, and that's why I'm spillin' my guts here. I figure it'd be a good start, non?
I have fond memories of you as well and would love to be a pal~

May 20, 2014, 08:58:12 PM
Reply #17442

Offline ScrapHeap

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 25, 2013, 12:18:01 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17442 on: May 20, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
Well, this got deep and emotional fast. I feel really shallow now.

May 20, 2014, 08:59:52 PM
Reply #17443

Offline Accel

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 23, 2010, 02:13:20 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #17443 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Quote from: "Perfectlylegit"
Well, this got deep and emotional fast. I feel really shallow now.
Don't! The prompt was since you joined! You haven't been here long, so there hasn't been much time to change, but based on what you said, it does sound like you did in fact grow!

May 20, 2014, 09:32:37 PM
Reply #17444

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #17444 on: May 20, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
I probably became a lot less excitable and naive over the almost 4 years I've spent on and off here.

When I joined I was very loud, frequently posted, often had a say in pretty much every topic regardless of content because I was very extroverted and kind of immature, despite being, well... a 22 year old woman when I joined. Looking back at my old posts is often incredibly embarrassing, I often think I would've just told my past self to shut up and not comment because in reality nobody actually cared, and I think a lot of people probably got very annoyed at the frequency of my posts and my constant attempts to get recognised.

I was always making something to try and get people's attention, since admittedly I was kind of used to being the centre of attention and I just wanted to stand out and have a lot of people care about me... I found that 'breakthrough' mod with Classes-v1a, which wasn't exactly great but since I was the first one to jump on the idea people really started to notice me and that's probably when I developed a name after classes picked up and became frequently used from v2 all the way up to v5 or so, which were actually released very quickly because it took me maybe, 40 minutes to make a class at that point and they were incredibly low quality (see v4). This is also when I developed an ego, I finally got the limelight that I thought I deserved, I acted very stuck up on all matters regarding classes etc.

That was probably when I was acting pretty lively and girly for the last time, really... After King Yamato's mod and Roc's pretty much full on verbal harassment of me (he called me a parasite, Smashbro joined in and everyone acted like KY was the hottest shit in the world) I got pretty disconnected and that's when I started being a full on jerk with little of my enthusiasm or happiness left, which sounds incredibly depressing.

Nobody noticed how girly my enthusiasm and naivety was, though, which I find somewhat funny... I was finally open with you all last year and it wasn't exactly pretty in the aftermath.

Nowadays I just keep to myself and post porn and talk to my cute hon' because the sad truth is I'm too jaded and bitter to actually like many of the people here